Support This Website! Shop Here!

Monday, March 01, 2004

Please Write CBS

March 1, 2003

Assignment Desk
CBS 2 News
6121 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

To the Editors:

Andy Rooney’s recent comments concerning the content of the film, The Passion of the Christ are unacceptable. He went beyond commentary on the movie to a bigoted, essentially racist attack on the spiritually Semitic heritage of Catholic Faith. His comments are indistinguishable from those associated with the Know-Nothings, the Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups of American history.

What would be done to a CBS commentator who said about a movie concerning Martin Luther King’s assassination, “I don't plan to see it. I don't want to pay nine dollars for just a few laughs”? I would hope that such obvious, nationally promulgated bigotry would result in the guilty individual being summarily removed from his position. I certainly expect CBS to do no less to Mr. Rooney.

The recent coarsening of American television, highlighted in the disgusting anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic bigotry of people like Mr. Rooney and the escapades of Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, are precisely what is causing Congressional investigations into operations such as yours.

Mr. Rooney’s remarks were the subject of lively commentary at my place of business today. Speaking as president and owner of my company and for all my employees, I am happy to inform you that CBS will no longer have any viewers from among my company’s ranks until Mr. Rooney leaves employment with you.

Gentlemen, either Mr. Rooney goes or your viewer ratings do. Choose.


Serious as a heart attack,
Steve Kellmeyer
President-CEO Bridegroom Press

No comments: